I have a list of blogs I would enjoy reading every single day. However there are not enough hours in the day and one must prioritize. I have one that I read quite often. It is written by a beautiful woman who continually inspires me creatively and spiritually. And I have one that I read everyday. It is written by a friend from college with whom, seemingly, I have very little in common with–meaning I am a married, homeschooling mom with three kids whose little world revolves around teaching kids, cooking dinner, and walking in the park. He is single and working as a contractor in Afghanistan. So why would I be reading his blog other than Mr. Detail and I knew him in our “former” lives? Well, he tells hilarious stories. He tells stories that require plenty of Kleenex. He asks challenging questions for all. The most recent was this: “What are you content about in the midst of trials?”
So not just thankful, but content. Wow.
For me, my contentedness lies in knowing that Jesus is in the here and now with me and knows the plans he has for you and that they are plans that are beneficial and will give me hope and a future. I realize that is vague, far off, and makes no logical sense to many, but to sit here and list other things first is simply not being straightforward. And I believe that it is because of this I am able to be content in the smaller things–some of which aren’t small, but are very important.
- I have three sweet children who are not sweet 100% of the time. But I love them, they are healthy, and the moments when they shine warm my heart for days. How did I get so blessed? (Oh, wait. Perhaps that is a bit of the hope mentioned above.)
- I may not live close to Trader Joe’s anymore, but Aldi Donut Shop Coffee is pretty decent.
- My house no longer has hardwood floors, but painted sub-floors in the meantime are worth all the nastiness of taking out the carpet.
- I get overwhelmed with my to-do list, but I have a wonderful husband who talks me down and gives me a hand and reminds me to delegate to children.
- And, although this is related to two others on the list, it must be included.
So, “What are you content about in the midst of trials?” Let me know in the comments section.